Tuesday 10 May 2016

The Hellfreaks - Birmingham

Okay this is what I need to do more of.  I literally found out about this the night before, booked a  hotel, booked a train and just went.

I'm not doing these gig highlights as live reviews, they are just snippets of what I'm up to while you're all at home playing Skyrim or whatever.  Anyway here's the flyer and a quick round-up of the night.


The Venue:

The Rainbow was an interesting place to party. The entrance was all painted up to look like Dr Who's TARDIS on the inside which I'm sure leads to all sorts of Instagram hilarity.  The staff were all friendly enough and the selection of drinks was fair.

The Bands:

Nottingham's own Headstone Horrors opened with a storming set.  I have finally ordered their CD so I'll let you all know what that's like soon.

Next up we had the ever popular Healthy Junkies who seem to gain more members and more gusto each time I see them.

Pink Hearse dove in third and treated us to some brutal horror inspired punk.  We were also included in a shakycam sequence for a future music video and I had my face licked by singer Nikki Hearse.  This is punk.  Stuff like this happens.

Headliners The Hellfreaks came all the way from Budapest to give us a tight and very polished performance.  They featured mainly newer material which is more punk orientated than their former psychobilly sound.  They've also dropped the standing bass guitar.  This may displease some of their older fans but the band are obviously moving their own direction.

Sadly the venue turfed out at 11:30 so we stumbled down to a nearby metal venue for a nightcap.

Overall a great weekend romp in another city which made an interesting change.


No comments:

Post a Comment